My husband and I have decided to try eating low carb again (or at least he has — I might eat high carb lunches to avoid becoming a perpetually hangry monster). But changing our diet means looking at our meals in a new way, without sides of bread, rice, and starchy vegetables to fill us up.
So today I pulled out my favorite cookbooks to pick out some new side dishes (and a few mains that called to me!) that are mostly low carb.
It’s fun to look through recipes with a new goal in mind — foods that previously looked uninteresting or that I had just overlooked suddenly stood out as appealing choices. It also cut down on the overwhelming feeling I always seem to get when I’m trying to choose a new recipe to try.
If you’re curious, here are the dishes that made the list:
- Aubergine-wrapped ricotta gnocchi
- French beans, mangetout, and hazelnuts
- Broccolini with tofu
- Chargrilled broccoli with chilli and garlic
- Parsnip and pumpkin mash (but I’ll use celeriac and butternut squash)
- Burnt green onion dip with kale
- Mixed Chinese vegetables
- Whole roasted celery root
- Zucchini and manouri fritters
- Beef brisket croquettes with Asian coleslaw
- Five-spiced tofu, steamed eggplants, and cardamom passata
- Kohlrabi salad
- Fried tomatoes with garlic
- Turkey and courgette burgers
What do you think? If you have any favorite low carb side dishes, please share! (Just no cauliflower … it smells and tastes rotten to me.)